Volunteer in Dharamsala + Dalai Lama teachings
HH The 14th Dalai Lama of Tibet delivers public teachings in Dharasamala few times a year. This is the core event around which this program is based. HH Dalai lama is one of the most prominent spiritual leaders of his times. He has not only given a new dimension to the political freedom struggle of Tibet but also has been a messenger of peace throughout the world, which won him the noble peace prize in 1989 . He continuously travels the world delivering lectures and speeches on world peace, Tibetan Buddhism and spiritualism. It’s enriching an experience to attend his lectures anywhere in the world but attending them in his Hometown of Dharamsala is once in a lifetime opportunity. We thus have centered your Group-volunteering program about his lectures to give our volunteers an experience of a lifetime and the same time volunteer with the Tibetan refuge community. Our program in Dharamsala is located in “McLeodGanj” Or Upper Dharamsala.
Our volunteers work with the Refugee Tibetan community which are in need of assistance and support. Our volunteers stay at a walking distance of 2 Kms from HH’s Palace, this gives our volunteers a chance to truly immerse themselves into the local culture, experience energy and aura of this spiritual town.
Volunteers work with the local refugee community which have little exposure to the modern world and face problems settling in. Volunteers help by teaching teaching english, maths, computers etc and help the refugee become more adept to the modern world. Read more about the project here
19th August 2016 – 16th September 2016 (Teachings from 29th August – 1st September)
23rd September 2016 – 22nd October 2016 (Teachings from 3rd October – 6th October)
Program Itinerary ( 4 weeks)
Below is a sample 4 weeks itinerary for the Dalai Lama teachings program in Dharamsala, India. The exact itineary might differ a little based on the dates for the teachings.
|Day 1||Arrival at New Delhi International airport, transfer to a local hotel. Rooms at the Hotel would be shared with fellow volunteers.|
|Day 2||Morning free at Leisure. Afternoon : Welcome Lunch + Introductions, Orientation to India, cultures and traditions, the program and our schedule.Evening : Drop at New Delhi bus station to catch an overnight bus to Dharamsala.|
|Day 3||Arrival at Dharamsala, welcome and transfer to accommodation. Introductions and Local area orientation. Evening : Local sightseeing in Dharamsala.|
|Day 4||Introduction to Yoga master, Language teacher, Volunteer organization, program schedule.|
|Day 5 – Day 6||Volunteer work with Yoga / Language / Tibetan Cooking Classes|
|Day 7 – day 9||Dalai Lama teachings : Each year HH Dalai Lama delivers Public teachings in the main temple in Dharamsala. Subject of the teachings varies from date to date. More details can be found here|
|Day 10||Free day in Dharamsala|
|Day 11 – Day 15||Volunteer work with Yoga / Language / Tibetan Cooking Classes|
|Day 16 – Day 17||Trekking to Triund. Overnight in Camps at Triund. Triund is situated 9 kms from Bhagsu Nag which is now very famous among foreigner tourist as a trekking paradise. Triund is name of a ridge in Dhauladhar Himalayas and it shows very close look for Moon peak-Indera Pass.|
|Day 18 – Day 22||Volunteer work with Yoga / Language / Tibetan Cooking Classes|
|Day 23- Day 24||Mass cleanup in Dharamsala and Special Havan session for our group of volunteers.|
|Day 25 – Day 29||Volunteer work with Yoga / Language / Tibetan Cooking Classes|
|Day 30||Drive to Amritsar, sightseeing in Amritsar : Golden Temple, Jalian Wala Bagh and Wagah boder. Overnight in Amritsar|
|Day 31||Morning drop at Amritsar train station to catch a train to New Delhi|
Program Fee :$1390 person (Group size, Minimum: 2 and Maximum: 12)
- Program Fee includes:
- Airport pickup upon arrival in New Delhi
- Accommodation in Delhi(Shared Room)
- Welcome Lunch
- Transfer to Bus Station
- Bus Fare to Dharasmala (Volvo, A/C)
- Transfer from Bus Station in Dharamsala to Accommodation
- Accommodation in Dharamsala (Shared Room)
- 3 Vegetarian Meals per day
- 5 Days a week Yoga + Meditation Lessons (Beginner Level)
- 5 days a week Language Lessons
- Once a week Tibetan/Indian cooking Classes
- Weekend trek to Triund including meals + Camping gear
- Transfer to Amritsar
- Overnight Stay in Amritsar ( Excluding Meals)
- Sightseeing in Amritsar :Wagah Border and Golden Temple
- Transfer to Amritsar train Station
- Train fare to New Delhi
- Transfer from New Delhi train station to International Airport
- Program fee includes basically everything from arrival till departure. You would need to spare some money for your personal expenses such as bottled water, snacks, toiletries etc.
- The lectures might be delivered in Languages other than English but would be translated into English. All volunteers are required to bring along a small radio and ear phones to listen to the English radio broadcast.
- For all participants, Requests for private audiences are carefully screened and studied by HH’s office. Applicants are asked to provide detailed information on themselves as well as the specific reasons why they want to see His Holiness.
- Accommodation : Serviced rooms with all basic modern amenities, shared with fellow volunteers with maximum of 2 volunteers per room.
- Arrival and Departure: Participants can also arrive before Start date depending upon their flights or stay longer after end date. Please contact us if you wish to do so. The program only covers accommodation from start date of the program. If you plan to arrival earlier we can make accommodation arrangements.
- Last date for Complete application and registration : 30 days befoe the start of the respect programs.